I. Fill in the blanks:
1. Mining is also known as a ____________ Industry.
Ans : Robber
2. Open cast mining is also called__________.
Ans : Quarrying
3. Minerals are non – renewable____________.
Ans : Resources
4. Mica is used in _____________ industries.
Ans : Electrical
5. ____________are tower like features in the oil fields.
Ans : Derricks
6. Minerals are classified based on their metallic content as_______ minerals, _________ minerals and________.
Ans : metallic, non – metallic, power.
7. In the alluvial mining minerals are extracted by ________or_________.
Ans : Panning, dredging
8. Minerals once extracted cannot be__________.
Ans : Replaced
9. Lime stone is extracted by _________.
Ans : Quarrying
10. Sulphur is used in _________ industries.
Ans : Heavy chemical
II. Choose the correct answer:-
1. The mineral found in alluvial deposits is ___________.
a) Gold b) Iron c) Coal
Ans : a) Gold
2. The ore of aluminium is ____________.
a) Sulphur b) Salt c) Bauxite
Ans : c) Bauxite
3. Anthracite is the ore of _____________.
a) Iron b) Coal c) Gold
Ans : b) Coal
4. A kind of non metallic mineral is
a) Petroleum b) Sulphur c) Iron
Ans : b) Sulphur
III. Match the following:
|1. Fuel||a) Tin|
|2. Malaysia||b) Gold|
|3. Alluvial Mining||c) Quarrying|
|4. Limestone||d) Chile|
|5. Copper||e) Coal|
Ans : 1 – E, 2 – A, 3 – B, A – C, 5 – D.
1. How do Minerals occur on the earth?
i) Minerals may occur in pure form or many be mixed with other materials of the rocks as ores.
ii) Minerals ores may occur in cracks, faults or joints of rocks or as sediments.
2. Write a note on Shaft mining.
i) In the shaft mining ores are extracted from greater depths beneath the surface.
ii) Shaft mining is more expensive than the surface mining.
3. Name the different types of coal.
Peat, lignite, bituminous and anthracite are the different are mineral fuels.
4. What are mineral fuels?
Coal, Oil and natural gas are mineral fuels.
5. What is alluvial mining?
Alluvial mining is used to extract minerals by panning or dredging minerals like tin and gold which are sometimes mixed with alluvium in the river bed.
1. Describe the types of mining.
i) There are different types of mining to extract minerals. Mining may be on the surface or subsurface depending the occurrence of minerals.
ii) Surface mining, Quarrying and drilling are the three major types of mining.
Surface mining method includes open cast mining strip mining and alluvial mining. It is used to mine the minerals.
Open Cast Mining
Open cast mining method includes open cost mining.
Strip mining removes long strips of over lying soil and rock.
Alluvial mining is used to extract minerals by panning or dredging minerals like tin and gold which are sometimes mixed with alluviam in the river bed.
Quarrying is the mining of building materials like limestone from the earth’s surface.
i) In underground mining ores extracted from greater depths beneath the surface.
ii) Underground mining is more expensive than the surface mining.
i) Drilling method is used to extract minerals like oil and natural gas.
ii) Oil rigs are used for sights in the fields are the tower like features or derricks which mark the places where the oil is being drilled.
2. Write an essay on metallic minerals.
Minerals like iron, Copper, aluminium, tin and gold are metallic.
i) Magnetite, hematite, limonite and siderite are the different types of iron ore.
ii) Iron one mines are found largely in U.S.A Canada, Australia, China, Brazil, India and Kazakhstan.
i) Copper is Mined from open pits.
ii) Large copper mines are found in Utah in USA Mexico, Zambia, Chile and Indonesia.
i) Bauxite is the ore of aluminum
ii) Bauxite is the ore of aluminum
i) Tin ore is called cassiterite
ii) Tin ore is obtained by alluvial mining.
i) Gold is a precious
ii) It is extracted through the placer or alluvial method
iii) Carat is the term used for the purity of gold.