I choose the correct answer
1. The middle period or the medieval period extended from the 8th to 18th century.
2. The founder of the dynasty was Nagabhatta II.
3. Dharmapala founded the famous university at Vikramasila.
4. The most important ruler of the chauhan dynasty was Prithiviraj.
5. The capital of the paramaras was at Dhara.
II FILL IN THE BLANKS:
1. The Prathiharas also known as Gujarat Prathiharas.
2. Gopala extended his power over Magadha.
3. The Nalanda University renovated by Dharmapala.
4. Raja Bhoja constructed a beautiful lake near Bhopal.
5. Bhaskaracharya wrote siddhantha shoromani a book on Astronomy.
III Match the following:
1. Khajuraho temple – kanauj
2. Chand Bardai – Prithivi Raja Raso
3. Rajasekara – Karpura manjari
4. Sun Temple – Konark
5. Dilwara temple – Mount Abu.
IV Answer the following:
1. How is the medieval period of Indian History classified?
· Early Vedic period – (8th -12th) century.
· Later Vedic period – (13th -18th) century.
2. Name any four Rajput clans which ruled over north India.
· The Prathiras of Avanthi
· The Palas of Bengal
· The Chauhans of Delhi.
· The Rathors of kanauj.
3. Write a note on the nature of the rajputs.
ü The Rajputs were great warriors and chivalours by nature.
ü The women preferred death to dishonor.
ü They were educated and were highly honoured in society.
ü They took part in public life and wars.
ü Women”s performed sati and jachar to protect themselves from the hands of
the enemies and to avoid dishonour.
4. What was the contribution of the chandellas to temple architecture?
The Khajuraho group of temples, the hingaraja temple at Bubaneshwar, the sun temple at
Konark and the Dilwara temple at mount Abu are the contribution of the Rajputs.
5. Who was the founder of swisodiya dynasty? Where was its capital?
ü Bapa Rawal was the founder of the swisodiya dynasty.
ü Their capital was Chittor.
V Answer in detail:-
1. The origin of the Rajputs and their struggle for supremacy.
The 12th century the destiny of India was mostly in the hands of various Rajput
Origin of the Rajputs.
· The origin of Rajputs is an insolved mystery.
· The Rajputs were decendants of LordRama or Lord Krishna.
· Ancient Kshtriya families.
Struggle for supremacy:-
· During the Rajput period there were nearly 36 Rajput clans ruling over north India.
· A few of them were the Prathiharas, Palas, Chauhans, Tomars, Chandellas and Paramaras.
· There was no strong central authority.
· They lacked unity and struggled with one another.
2. What were the contributions made by the Rajputs in various fields?
Language and literature:
· During the Rajputs period, regional languages like Marathi, Gujarathi and Benali were well developed.
· The Bhabti saints and the folk singers played a major role in the development of regional languages.
· Some of the literary works of the period are kalhanas Rajatharangini, Jayadevas Gita govindham, Somadevas kathasaritasaar, Bhaskaracharyss Siddanta shiromani and Rajasekaras karpuramanjari and Bala Ramayana.
Art and architecture:
· Mural paintings and miniature paintings became popular during the Rajput period.
· The khajuraho group of temples, the lingaraja temple at Bhubaneshwar, the sun temple at konark and the Dilwara temple at Mount Abu are the fine specimans of the temple architecture of the Rajputs.
· The Khajuraho temples attract tourists from India and abroad.
· They built forts at Jaisalmar, chittor, Mandu, Jodhpur and Gwalior.