RRB study Material – Agricultural Seasons in India
- The Kharif Season:
- Crops are sown at the beginning of south-west monsoon and harvested at the end ofthe south-west monsoon.
- Sowing Season: May to July.
- Harvesting Season: September to October.
- Important Crops: [owar, Bajra, Rice, Maize, Cotton, Groundnut, Jute, Hemp, Tobacco etc.
- The Rabi Season:
- Crops need cool climate during growth period but warm climate during the germination of seed and maturation.
- Sowing Season: October to December
- Harvesting Season: February to April Important
- Crops: Wheat, Barley, Gram, Linseed, Mustard, Masoor & Peas.
- The Zaid Season:
The crops grown on irrigated lands which do not have to wait for monsoons. in the short duration between Rabi and Kharif crop season, mainly from March to June, are called Zaid crops (also written as Zayad crops).
These crops are grown mainly in the summer season during a period called the “Zayad crop season.” The main produce are seasonal fruits and vegetables.
Crops: Cucumber, Musk melon. Watermelon, Bitter gourd etc.
Major Producers of the Crops in India
- Wheat- Uttar Pradesh
- Rice – Weat Bengal
- Sugarcane – U.P
- Maize- Andhra Pradesh
- Bajra – Rajasthan
- Cotton – Gujrat
- Bajra – Rajasthan
- Mustard – Rajasthan
- Coffee Karnataka
- Onion – Maharastha
- Potato – Uttar Pradesh
Revolutions in the field of agriculture in India:
- Black Revolution – Petroleum Production
- Blue Revolution – Fish Production
- Brown Revolution – Leather/non conventional (India)/Cocoa production
- Golden Fiber Revolution – Jute Production
- Golden Revolution – Fruits/Overall Horticulture development/Honey Production
- Green Revolution – Food grains
- Grey Revolution – Fertilizer
- Pink Revolution – Onion production/Pharmaceutical (India)/ Prawn production
- Red Revolution – Meat & Tomato Production Y Round Revolution – Potato
- Silver Fiber Revolution – Cotton
- Silver Revolution – Egg/Poultry Production
- White Revolution (In India: Operation Flood) – Milk/Dairy production
- Yellow Revolution – Oil Seeds production
- Evergreen Revolution – Overall development of Agriculture.