I. Choose the correct answer:
1. The Great Economic Depression began in USA
2. In 1929 the American President was Herbert Hoover
3. The greatest Craze in America was Share Market
4. FD Roosevelt assumed office on March 4, 1933
5. There were normal economic activities in the USA by 1940
II. Match the following:
|1. Share market collapse||Speculation on borrowed money|
|2. Reconstruction Finance Corporation||Banks and industries|
|3. Economic Depression||Early 1930`s|
|4. Federal Reserve Bank||Loans|
|5. The Security Exchange Act||License to stock exchange|
III. Answer the following in brief
1. What were the causes for the Great Economic Depression?
The causes for the Great Economic Depression
The main cause of the depression was the collapse of American share market. The share market collapse was due to speculation on borrowed money.
Share market was the greatest craze in America.
2. Write a note on National Industrial Recovery Act.
The National Industrial Recovery Act (NIRA) was passed to reform the conditions of the workers by raising wages and lowering the working hours.
3. What do you know about Agriculture Adjustment Act?
The Agricultural Adjustment Act (AAA) was passed to provide compensation to farmers there by to raise prices of agricultural production.
IV. Answer all the questions given under each caption:
1. FRANKLIN D. ROOSEVELT
[a] When was the Presidential election held?
[b] How was Franklin D. Roosevelt commonly known as?
[c] What was his election manifesto?
“I pledge you, I pledge, myself to a new deal for the Americans”.
[d] Name the policy formulated by him.
2. EFFECTS OF RELIEF MEASURES
[a] What did it restore?
It restored confidence among the people
[b] What did it lay?
It laid a firm foundations for industrial prosperity and lead to increased production
[c] Mention the ideas accepted by the Americans as part of their life?
Restriction on Hours of work are now accepted as part of the Americans pattern of the life.
[d] What has become synonymous throughout the world?
V. Answer the following in a paragraph:
1. Write a paragraph about Relief, Recovery and Reforms introduced by Franklin D. Roosevelt.
Relief, Recovery and Reforms introduced by Franklin D. Roosevelt.
- The Presidential election came in 1932.
- Franklin. D. Roosevelt, commonly known as FDR.
- He assumed office on March 4, 1933.
- In the election manifesto he said “I pledge you, I pledge, myself to a New Deal for the Americans”.
- The policy formulated by FD Roosevelt known as new Deal.
- The Tennessee Valley was established for construction of dams, power plants, flood control projects, soil conservation.
- The Federal Emergency Relief Administration (FERA) was set up to provide with 500 million dollars to the state and local governments.
- Federal Reserve Bank was set up to provide loans to banking institutions and industries.
- The National Industrial Recovery Act (NIRA) was passed to reform the conditions of the workers by raising wages and lowering their working hours.
- The Agricultural Adjustment Act (AAA) was passed to provide compensation to farmers.