I. Choose the correct answer:
1. The number of official language in India is ___________.
a) 15 b) 18 c) 22
Ans : c) 22
2. The national language of India is _________.
a) English b) Tamil c) Hindi
Ans : c) Hindi
3. In India, the states are divided on the basis of ___________.
a) language b) literature c) heritage
Ans : a) language
4. The national integration Day is observed on __________.
a) 14th Nov b) 19th Nov c) 1st Nov
Ans : b) 19th Nov
5. Who among the following settled in India during the early days.
a) The Greeks b) The Aryans c) The persions
Ans : b) The Aryans
6. Jains celebrate _____________.
a) Mahavir Jayanthi b) Krishna Jayanthi c) Bakrid
Ans : Mahavir Jayanthi
7. Valmiki wrote ________________ in sanskrit
a) Mahabharata b) Shakunthala c) Ramayana
Ans : C) Ramayana
8. In India almost about __________ languages are spoken
a) 645 b) 745 c) 845
Ans : c) 845
9. Arunachaleswara temple is at
a) Madurai b) Thiruvannamalai c) Tanjore
Ans : b) Thiruvannamalai
II. Fill in the blanks:
1. India is also known as ____________.
Ans : Bharat.
2. Cave Temples are at _____________.
Ans : Mamallapuram.
3. Social structure of India is based upon ___________.
Ans : Caste.
4. The Buddhish celebrate _____________.
Ans ; Buddha poornima.
5. ___________ has been declared as an official link language.
Ans : English
6. India is a treasure house of _______________.
Ans : literature
7. Painting at ___________ and ____________ ae world famous.
Ans : Ajantha and Elora
8. All Indians celebrate the ____________
Ans : New year day
9. The ____________ and ____________ of music originated in India.
Ans : Carnatic style, Hindustani Style
III. Match the following:
|1. Kalidasa||(a) The Holy Book|
|2. The Bible||(b) Jain Temple|
|3. Mount Abu||(c) Amritsar|
|4. Golden Temple||(d) Megadoothan|
Ans : 1-(d) 2-(a) 3-(b) 4-(c)
|1. Kalidasa||a) Kanchipuram|
|2. Kuchipudi||b) Christians|
|3. Vaikunta Perumal||c) Dance|
|4. Cathedral||d) Shakunthala|
|5. Easter||e) Santhome|
Ans : 1 – D, 2 – C, 3 – A, 4 – E, 5 – B
VI. Answer the following questions briefly:
1. Define culture?
(i) Culture is a product of corporate civil society.
(ii) Culture may also be defined as the activities of man individually and in Society.
2. Mention Some of the festivals of the Hindus?
Deepavali, Rama Navami, Krishna Jayanthi, Durga Pooja and Makara Sankaranthi (Pongal) are some of the festival of Hindus.
3. Name some temples in South India.
i) In South India, meenakshi temple at madurai, the Brihadeeswara the Kailasanathar temple and Vaikunta perumal temple at Kanchipuram are famous temple.
ii) The Arunachaleswara temple at Thiruvannamalai, Temple at vellore and Chidambaram, the cathedral at santhom are also famous ones.
4. Point out the factors affecting national integration.
iv) Economic disparity
1. Detail is a land of “Unity in Diversity” explain.
i) In India almost about 845 languages are spoken now of these 22 are constitutionally recognized languages.
ii) Hindi has been chosen as the National language.
iii) English has been declared as an official link language.
i) India is a treasure house of literature.
ii) The Vedas, Mahabharata, the Ramayana, the Bhagavad Gita, the Bible, Quran, Thirukkural are familiar with all Indians.
iii) In Tamil, the eight Anthalogies, the Ten Idylls, Eighteen Didactis (18), Aimperum
kappiyangal, the Periyapuranam nalavenba, Kalingathuparani, Thevaram and
naalayira Divya Prabandam describe historical events and also enrich the language.
i) Hindu festivals like Deepavali, Krishna jayanthi, Durga pooja (Navarathiri) Pongal etc.,
ii) Muslim celebrate Bakrid and Ramzan.
iii) Christians celebrate easter and Christmas.
Customs, Habits and Heritage
i) The Indian heritage advocates hospitality, Charity, brotherhood, love, dharma, tolerance, peace, Spiritual feelings and respect for elders.
ii) All the good habits help the Indians to line in Unity.
Food and Dress
i) In South India people eat rice, where as in North India people prefer wheat and dhal.
ii) The climatic condition of India differ from place to place.
Music and Dance
i) The Carnatic style and Hindustani style of music originated India.
ii) Bharathanatyam, Kuchipudi, kathak, Manipuri and oddissi are some of the famous dances in India.
Unity in Diversity
i) The Indian people are different in their food habits, dress, caste, creed, religion and language.
ii) They also line under different environment.
iii) Inspite of all these differences they are called by one name as “Indians”.
2. Explain the factors that load to National Integration.
i) In spite of many diversities we are called Indians.
ii) Everyone feels that he / she is an Indian first, it promotes our National Integration.
There are other factors, which promote our National Integration.
i) India’s geographical feature and its defence, cultural heritage and cultural unity and religions tolerance promote National Integration.
ii) Our National symbols, National Flag and National Anthem the principles of
Democracy, Sovereignty, Secularism and Socialism promote National Integration.
iii) The observance of National Integration Day on 19th November every year strengthens the idea of national Integration.